Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Askance


Most of the hardcore I gravitate to has some sort of message.  Weather it be about politics, love, tragedy, oppression, prejudice, etc.- I am touched most by music that has a message I can relate to and believe in.  I am also inspired by seeing bands play live.  Few things move me like a powerful, sincere, emotional show.

In the early 90's, Askance embodied both the message and the moving live show.  Hailing from Richmond, they were also somewhat 'local' to the DC area.  Consisting of members from Device, Step Aside, and As It Stands- Askance regularly played shows with the likes of Born Against, Rorschach, Avail, Four Walls Falling, and so on.  They handed out lyric sheets at shows (a practice I still STRONGLY believe in) and talked about song meanings before playing them.  Live, they brought with them an energy and an urgency that could only be pulled off by people that truly gave a shit- which almost always resulted in a floored audience.

Musically they were much more complex than many of the other snare/bass, open E chord bands playing at the time.  No sing-along choruses, no 'mosh' parts, and no guitar solos.  Instead they had complex songs lead by drumming of the likes I'd never heard before (and still haven't).  Anyone who has seen or heard them would agree that the unique, intricate, ants-in-your-pants drumming style is/was the most memorable musical component of Askance.  On the recorded material- the vocals came across much more tame and whiney than in live performances.  At first listen they can be off-putting, but give it a few listens and they grow on you.

Askance was Matt Rankin, Brad Goodwin, Jimmy Anthony, Craig Henry and Jon Bone.  From 1991 to 1993, they put out a four song demo (with Rob Kelshian from Avail, Ipecac, Shadowman on guitar), two songs that showed up on compilations (Old Glory's God's Chosen People and Allied's Emergency Broadcast System), and a four song 7".  The 7" was released on Catheter Assembly, and had a booklet with contributions from all five band members.

Included in each download are scans of the lyric sheets.  I encourage you to read them, as it will give you a better sense of what Askance was about.

Fuck your pride, we stole this.

Demo
Emergency Broadcast System
God's Chosen People
you'll never be the mannequin 7"

9 comments:

  1. Nice. Can't wait to see what posts show on here in the future. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ants-in-my-pants drumming? Brother, you make me itch.

    Still, it's inspiring to read this, and you did a great job on the scans. You've become a master archivist, and I wonder what other relics you have lying around in the vaults. Thanks for opening them up.

    See you in Portland some day? The first round of Tofutti is on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.

    Czahor, it's great to know you're out there man. Jimmy's brother is in Portland as well, I haven't been out there in a year or two but I will again.
    If memory serves me correctly the top pic would be the weird cafe in Chicago, the center from that warehouse show in Detroit where we first met the Chokehold guys, and the bottom is Hiltz's basement.

    Incredible. I will now start scouring the vault for some more pics and memories to share...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon! Great to hear from you. I've got some more goodies from the tour if you want to email me through this site.

    As for the photos- you are right about Chicago and Detroit, but I believe the basement pic was from Grand Haven, MI at some kid named T.J.'s house...

    And drop me a note any time you are in Portland- would love to see you (and any of you other lookey-loo's). Jimmy's brother as well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to see the pictures and lyric sheets. I've got a box of old photos that I haven't looked at in a long time. Might be time to do that. I hope each and everyone of you are happy and healthy. -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, is it possible to get a re-upload?
    thanks man

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so musch for this post and all the work on archives … Do you think it's possible to get re-ups or mirrors on the Askance discog please ?
    I'm french so I didn't get to see them live and I only know of the Old Glory compilation …

    ReplyDelete